ya7layl-ik






Audio with Theyab's pronunciation





"shfiich?" he asks. I must have a face like a rainy Sunday.
"I've just been to the al-makhfar," is my glum reply.
"You're kidding, what happened?"
"I was riding on my bicycle at less than a kilometre an
hour. And I burned a red."
He waits.
"...yam shurTii," I admit, defeated.
Now he starts laughing. "You didn't see him?"
"The guy was taqriiban two metres from where I was,
in full uniform. He may as well have had disco lights on
his head, but me being me, maa shift-ah. And he fined
me on the spot."
"bi-cham?"
I twiddle my thumbs. "100 euros?"
"UFF!"
"But now laazim aruuH lay al-makhfar so that I can pay." 
He asks me if I have to go there today. 
"Laa..."
"bas, :ayal laa truuHiin."
"aTHin bruuH," I say, and explain that should I choose
to pay today, I won't get fined another 100 euros baachir.
He can see that this episode has ruined my day.
"shlonich?" he asks.
"zwaynah," I reply, with a shrug.
At this he starts laughing again. "yaHlayl-ich!"


شفيچ؟
shfiich? What’s wrong? (to a female)
المخفر
al-makhfar The police station
يم
yam  Next to
شرطي
shurTii A policeman
تقريبن
taqriiban Approximately
ما شفته
maa shift-ah I didn’t see him
بكم
bi-cham How much?
لازم
laazim It’s necessary
باروح
baruuH I will go
لي
lay To
لا
laa No
بس عيل لا تروح
bas :ayal laa truuH(iin) So don’t go then (m/f)
اظن باروح
aDHin baruuH I think I will go
باچر
baachir Tomorrow
زوين
zwayn(ah) Okayish (m/f)
يحليلچ
yaHlayl-ich How cute you are (to a female)!
يدتكم
yadat-kum Your grandmother