adaldigh-ik!



I was seeing red in true Taurean style. As tickling is one of my favourite past times, being unable to say today's phrase was more than annoying.

"ah-del-dugh-ick," Theyab says, taking care to pronounce each syllable.

When I say it, the phrase sounds less like adaldigh-ik and more like I'm dribbling.

"When will you send me today's drawing?" I asked pointedly, noticing that if I didn't Theyab would spend all day on his console.

"When you can pronounce today's word correctly," he replies smartly.

I remember learning to read aloud as a child, and how my stomach would tie itself in knots the minute I had to say a word with more than four letters. My mother would have me pronounce each syllable over and over until I got it. 

ah-del.
ah-del-dur.
ah-del-durgh.
ah-del-durgh-ick.

"adaldigh-ik!" I called over.

"Hmm. Not bad," he calls back, pounding the keys of his game pad.
 "Four out of ten!"

So I dropped this little number:

"daldaght-ik." ('I tickled you.')

He paused his game. "Hang on, how did you know that one?"

"Magic." But you know, this little guide helped.

And with that, the drawing was sent.



Arabic
Pronounced?
English

أدلدغ
adaldigh
I tickle
تدلدغ
tdaldigh
You tickle (>m)
تدلدغين
tdaldighiin
You tickle (>f)
تدلدغون
tdaldighuun
You tickle (>pl)
ندلدغ
ndaldigh
We tickle
يدلدغ
ydaldigh
He tickles
تدلدغ
tdaldigh
She tickles
يدلدغون
ydaldighuun
They tickle
دلدغت
daldaght
I tickled
دلدغت
daldaght
You tickled (>m)
دلدغتي
daldaghtay
You tickled (>f)
دلدغتوا
daldaghtaw
You tickled (>pl)
دلدغتنا
daldaghnaa
We tickled
دلدغ
daldagh
He tickled
دلدغت
daldaghat
She tickled
دلدغوا
daldaghaw
They tickled
أدلدغك
adaldigh-ik
I’m going to tickle you (>m)
أدلدغچ
adaldigh-ich
I’m going to tickle you (>f)
أدلدغكم
adaldigh-kum
I’m going to tickle you (>pl)

No comments:

Post a Comment

WANT TO KNOW A WORD? ASK BELOW!