ammur






When I'm on the way out of the house, maybe someone will ask me if ammur such-and-such a place, and whether I can pick something up for them.

If I'm headed in the opposite direction, I'll remember the itinerary of someone else in the house and say: "maa agdr ammur-ah ('I can't pass by there') but I think your aunt b-tammur that particular store this morning, so maybe ask her to get what you need?"

If however, I can carry out the favour, the likelihood is that on Kuwait's roads, I'll get lost. So unless I know the destination already, I'll end up parked on a sandy verge in the middle of nowhere - and calling around for more instructions. And these were: 

"6uuf-ay the roundabout, then take the second left, then take a right and 6uuf-ay the big white house."

Whatever happened to navigating by road names? There seem to be a lot of big white houses. I start to panic, not able to find the store. But suddenly, what luck! The driver who yammur looks familiar. And he's slowing down to greet me. It's my uncle!

I roll down the window. "mistaansah ashuuf-ik!" I say, then blurt out: "I need to get to this store, if you have time can we nammur together?" 



Arabic
Pronounced?
English

أمر
ammur
I pass by
تمر
tmmur
You pass by (>m)
تمرين
tmuriin
You pass by (>f)
تمرون
tmuruun
You pass by (>pl)
نمر
nmmur
We pass by
يمر
ymmur
He passes by
تمر
tmmur
She passes by
يمرون
ymmuruun
They pass by
طوف!
6uuf!
go past! (>m)
طوفي!
6uuf-ay!
go past! (>f)
طوفوا!
6uuf-aw!
go past! (>pl)
 مستانسة أشوفك
mistaansah ashuuf-ik
I’m pleased to see you (f>m)

No comments:

Post a Comment

WANT TO KNOW A WORD? ASK BELOW!