laa t7ik!



Yes, ash-shitaa2 ('the winter') brings with it frosty nights and dull days, but one of the reasons I grew to love it includes its lack of mosquitoes.

My patience is ma7duud, so when a sad, red welt appears on a leg or arm, I have to go for it. "laa t7ikiin!" comes the voice of reason, making me pocket the offending fingers. That is, until my accuser gets bitten in turn and then we're both shouting each other to "laa t7ik!" and "laa t7ikiin!" as well as co-sharing the scratching ritual. 

The you-scratch-my-back-and-I'll-scratch-yours drill is deeply unsexy to an outsider, but one of near-perfect harmony and satisfaction for those involved.

That is, until life rushes in and someone inevitably says laazim amshii al-7ayn. 



Arabic
Pronounced?
English

لا تحك!
laa t7ik!
don’t scratch! (>m)
لا تحكين!
laa t7ikiin!
don’t scratch! (>f)
لا تحكون!
laa t7ikuun!
don’t scratch! (>pl)
محدود
mahduud
limited (m)
محدودة
mahduudah
limited (f)
محدودين
mahduudiin
limited (pl)
لازم أمشي الحين
laazim amshii al-7ayn
I have to go now

No comments:

Post a Comment

WANT TO KNOW A WORD? ASK BELOW!