yifashil




Kuwaiti is different from English in that there are no neutrals. No, this doesn't mean that Kuwaiti words are at war with each other, only that there is no word in Kuwaiti for 'it'.

Whereas in English, you'd say 'I don't like karaoke, it is embarrassing,' in Kuwaiti it'd be maa a7ib kaariyawkay, yifashil ('I hate karaoke, he is embarrassing'). Why? Because the word 'karaoke' in Kuwaiti is masculine.

So in Kuwaiti there are no 'its' - every noun equates to a he or a she. However, when the gender of the subject matter is uncertain, go for the masculine verb: bagayt aguul shay yifashil ('I almost said something embarrassing' or 'I almost said something he is embarrassing.')

But if someone embarrasses you, the diplomatic (and rather poetic) response is literally 'you fell from my eye' or 6i7t min 3ayn-ii.



Arabic Pronounced? English

بقيت أطيح
bagayt a6ii7 I almost fell
بقيت تطيح
bagayt t6ii7 You almost fell (>m)
بقيتي تطيحين
bagaytay t6ii7iin You almost fell (>f)
بقيتوا تطيحون
bagaytaw t6ii7uun You almost fell (>pl)
 طحت من عيني
6i7t min 3ayn-ii You disappointed me (>m) (literally 'you fell from my eye')
بقيت أقول شي يفشل bagayt aguul shay yifashil I almost said something embarrassing

No comments:

Post a Comment

WANT TO KNOW A WORD? ASK BELOW!