ya3jib-nii









Audio with Theyab's pronunciation


















The clock says as-saa3ah 3ashrah bi l-'9hub6. Plenty of time to get things done, I think.

Wrong. Suddenly the doorbell rings. It's khaalah Danah. We greet each other and she asks, "How's your mother?" 

"zainah," I reply. Then I offer her something to drink: "7aar walaa baarrid?"

She asks for saffron milk tea and a piece of cake.


"t7ibiin al-kaikah?" I ask.

"ee," she replies, crumbs flying everywhere.

Then the doorbell rings again. This time it's 3amitii Nourah. My father hasn't spoken to her in years - awkward! Well anyway, she comes in, says hello to khaalah Danah and joins us for tea and cake.

"So dear, ta3jib-ich Barcelona??" she asks me.

"Yes, ta3jib-nii waayid," I reply.

"And ya3jib-ich your husband?" she asks pointedly.

"Only when he's nice to me," I say jokingly. 

We decide to take a photo for Instagram. We look at the result. 3amitii Nourah cowers in shame. "Oh gross, haadhii a9-9uurah maa ta3jib-nii killish!"

So we delete that one. And take another. Then another. Now filters are being applied. And once we have a revved-up, overly saturated, toothy selfie of the three of us, khala9-naa.

Both ladies give their kisses and take their leave.

I check my watch. Is that really the time? Then the phone rings.

"aluu?" I say.

It's rifiijt-ii and she wants to meet for tea and cake at The Avenues. Strangely the repetition isn't unwelcome. In fact, yabiil-ah!





الساعة عشرة بضبط
as-saa3ah 3asharah bi l-'9ub610 o’clock on the dot
خالة
khaalahMaternal aunt
حار ولا بارد؟
7aar walaa baarid?Would you like a hot or cold drink?
تحبين الكيكة؟
t7ibiin al-kaikah?Do you (>f) like the cake?
إي
eeYes
عمتي
3amitii Paternal aunt
يعجبچ... ؟
تعجبچ... ؟

ya3jib-ich...?
ta3jib-ich...?
Do you like ...(m. subj.) (>f)?
Do you like ... (f. subj.)(>f)?
تعجبني وايد
ta3jib-nii waayid

I like it (f) a lot
هاذ الصورة ما تعجبني
haadhi a9-9uurah maa ta3jab-nii killishI don’t like this photo at all!
خلصنا
khalaS-naaWe finished
الو؟
aluu?Hello? (when picking up phone)
رفيجي
رفيجاتي
رفجني
رفيجاتي
rafiij-ii
rafiijt-ii
rifjaa-nii
rifiijaat-ii
My (male) friend
My (female) friend
My (male) friends
My (female) friends



No comments:

Post a Comment

WANT TO KNOW A WORD? ASK BELOW!