sar7aan






Audio with Theyab's pronunciation











The one with sarHaan...

Often in my language classes, without meaning to, asraH. Once upon a time, I'd have sold a kidney to speak many languages. Nowadays I'm overcome with yearning whenever I hear of whiff of English spoken around me, or catch an episode of Blackadder on satellite TV.

But there is another angle to this lost-in-translation business. Premature deafness. Too many years of loud music and likely cotton bud abuse. And it really throws a spanner in the works when it comes to having a two-way conversation.

So the days consist of us heckling back and forth to one other like old people. I will say "sima:t-nii?" and he will say "sim:ay shinu gaa:d aguul?" and we'll pretend we understood.

It's a little embarrassing, this premature deafness. And so much easier to say ana sarHaan (if you're a man) or ana sarHaanah (if you're a girl) when you cannot hear the great secret your not-so-deaf friend has just revealed to you.


اسرح
asraH I zone out
سمعتني؟
sima:t-nii? Did you hear me? (>m)
 سمعي شنو قاعد اقول!
isma: shinu gaa:d aguul Listen to what I’m saying! (>f)
شنو
shinuu What
سرحت
saraHt I zoned out




<
How was today's post?